Saturday, November 17, 2007

The trek to the pond

We had to cross the river 3 times over rocks. These rocks might look
harmless enough, but they are very slippery and dangerous. We didn't
get there until late afternoon, so I was pretty sure we would be coming
back over them in near-darkness. But one worry at a time. When we got
to the secret pond, Todd and I were both dripping with sweat, so we
couldn't wait to get into the water! Keith left us there while he hiked
up the hill to do some work...for "about 2 hours". The water was
absolutely fabulous and fresh and cool. We probably could have just
taken drinks of it as we swam... untouched, fresh water. No humans for
miles. But... lots of mosquitoes! Keith always tells us to wear long
pants and long sleeved shirts. I didn't have a long sleeved shirt, so I
asked Keith to bring along one of his shirts. Keith forgot, so he gave
me his mosquito netting to use. I'm not too sure how to use it, as you
can see. We had our picnic then headed out to try to find Keith. We
found a skeleton of a cow, one frog, and some guavas, but it took us
many tries to finally get up to the clearing where Keith was working.

No comments: